Wednesday, May 15, 2019

If You Can Bead, You Can Make...


Working with beads is a great way to make beautiful things. They can be sparkly accents on handmade or storebought objects, or the beads themselves can be made into a gift. Craft stores carry a wide selection of beads, and of course there are stores specifically for beads as well. My favorite online source is ArtBeads.


Beads give this knitted necklace an elegant twist
(project and photo by Ravelry user Speattle, pattern here)
This purse is fully lined, giving it more durability and ensuring nothing will slip out the holes between the knitted stitches or the spaces between the beads.
(project and photo by Ravelry user Speattle, pattern here)

Jewelry, ornaments, and decorations are the easiest gifts to make with your beading skills. You have to think carefully before making a toy or heavily-used item out of beads; the beads might break, fall off, or get in the way of a "more practical" item's use. But a gift doesn't have to have a use beyond being beautiful for it to be appreciated.

My dad taught me how to make these bells. This YouTube tutorial is similar, although we use twelve 8mm faceted beads for the beginning circle and she uses the 3x6mm oat beads (the third type of bead is 4mm pearl beads; I've found all at JoAnn and other craft stores, and online on Etsy and eBay). A written pattern very close to how we do it is here.



Left and right are jewelry pieces my sister-in-law made for me to wear in my wedding (left; I commissioned her) and hers (right; I was a bridesmaid). Middle is a set my best friend made me for Christmas.
Not strictly beading, but similar--a coworker of my husband's makes dreamcatchers uses feathers she finds at their workplace, owl, crow, and northern flicker in this instance. This is hanging in our kitchen.
A selection of Christmas ornaments I've been given by various friends with beaded accents


You don't need to be a beading master to enjoy it. Kids can get in on the fun, too.
My cousin made this for me when were teens. My kids play with it now.


There's a certain charm to these creations of my two- and four-year-olds.


Beads as accents or the entirety of baskets, keychains, clothing, curtains, accessories, jewelry, wall hangings, frames--they can add a touch of beauty, elegance, fun, or whatever you want. With so many kinds of beads and charms, your imagination is the limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment